Upgrading from V2.0 to V2.7
Please note: Version 2.7 uses a new licensing scheme completely different from the older scheme. You must have your new license number available before beginning this procedure. Please
contact us for information on how you can obtain your new license number.
As Version 2.7 is, in fact, a complete and separate installation from Version 2.0, this is technically not an upgrade. However, if you follow the steps below, the installation process will
automatically move your V2.0 configuration files and protocols so that the migration from V2.0 to V2.7 is seamless.
Please note: Although the OPC ProgID for Version 2.7 has changed to SWToolbox.OmniServer, the old OPC ProgID, DSSI.OmniServer.2, still works. You will not have to change any code in
your client application. No changes were made to the DDE, FastDDE, or Suitelink application names.
To upgrade from Version 2.0 to Version 2.7:
- IMPORTANT: Please make a backup of your V2.0 installation directory. Although nothing in this procedure will destroy the V2.0 installation, it's always best to have backups.
- If you are running V2.0 as a service, stop the service. To do this, first launch the OmniServer configuration program and select View | Runtime options from the OmniServer menu. Uncheck the
"Run as a service" option, then exit. Finally, check the Services section in your system's Administrative tools and insure that the server has been stopped and is disabled.
- If you are not running V2.0 as a service, stop the polling for V2.0 by right-clicking on the icon in the icon tray and selecting Exit. If you do not see the icon, then V2.0 is not running.
- Install your copy of V2.7. Do not launch the configuration program when prompted.
- Once the installation is complete, make sure that OmniServer is completely shut down. First, ensure that the OmniServer Configuration program is not opened (it is opened by default from the
Installation program). Next, check your Icon Tray. If you see and icon of a computer with a world behind, that is the OmniServer engine. Right-click on the icon and select "Exit".
- Go to your V2.0 directory.
- Inside the V2.0 directory you will find a file with the extension .CFG. Copy this file to your V2.7 installation directory. (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Software
- Also in that directory you may find all your protocols. Each protocol will have the extension .DPD. Move those files over to the V2.7 installation directory.
- Finally, you may find a Samples directory (this directory would have been installed if you specifically wanted it during the original V2.0 installation). This directory contains all the
sample protocols that came with V2.0. If you have changed any of these protocols, they will also have to be moved to the Samples directory in the V2.7 installation directory.
- Start up V2.7. You will see your configuration and your protocols.
- If you were running V2.0 as a service and you wish to run V2.6 as a service, please see our Using Services section for for details.
- Now just register Version 2.7 using the new license number you received with your V2.7 purchase.
And that's all there is to it! Your next step will be to test the V2.7 installation with your configuration and protocols just to make sure that everything